RN to MSN: Registered Nurse to MS in Nursing
The RN to MSN bridge program is designed for the registered nurse who has not completed his/her bachelor’s degree. Because the completion of the Master of Science in nursing is the entry-level pre-requisite to becoming an advanced practice nurse, many RNs will take advantage of an RN to MSN bridge in order to become nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, nurse anesthetists, or nurse-midwives. MSN holders may also become nurse educators, nurse managers, or nurse administrators. For RNs who do already hold a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing (BSN), many schools also offer BSN to MSN bridge programs.
How to Apply to a RN to MSN Program
In order to apply to a RN to MSN program, students must typically submit the following materials:
- Application form with application fee
- Transcripts from ASN program or hospital diploma program
- Two to three letters of recommendation
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), depending on the program requirements
- Current RN license
- Statement of Purpose that addresses your reason for choosing nursing as a profession and an interest in a particular specialty
RN to MSN Program Requirements
Program requirements vary according to the degree program, but students must typically complete the following:
- Part One: Complete all undergraduate degree requirements to earn a BSN
- Part Two: Complete all graduate coursework in a specialty area which may include:
- Clinical Specialties: Acute Care, Adult Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Nurse, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Mid-Wifery, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Administrative Specialties: Nurse Administrator, Nurse Educator, Nurse Informaticist, Nurse Manager
- Part Three: Earn certification in area of practice and fulfill other assessment criteria determined by degree program
RN to MSN Bridge Programs
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing from American Sentinel University
- RN to MSN: Nurse Educator from Gonzaga University
- RN to MSN: Clinical Nurse Leadership from Sacred Heart University
- RN to MSN: Nursing Education from Sacred Heart University
- RN to MSN: Patient Care Services Administration from Sacred Heart University
- MSN: Education (RN to MSN) from Western Governors University
- MSN: Leadership & Management (RN to MSN) from Western Governors University
Top Masters in Nursing Schools
A master’s degree in nursing can be the first step to becoming a nurse practitioner, nurse educator, or clinical nurse leader (CNL). Several accredited online MSN programs are listed below. Fill out any school’s form to quickly receive additional information and application materials.
|MSN: Mgmt & Org Leadership MSN: Infection Prevention MSN: Case Management MSN: Informatics||
American Sentinel University – American Sentinel University offers a wide variety of accredited online masters in nursing degrees, each with a specific focus designed to teach MSN students the exact skills they need for their particular career focus. By specializing in Management and Organizational Leadership, Infection Prevention, Case Management, or Nurse Informatics through online courses as opposed to campus programs, students can complete assignments at a time and place that is convenient.
|MSN: Nurse Midwifery MSN: Women’s Health MSN: Clinical Nurse MSN: Nurse Admin||
University of Cincinnati – - University of Cincinnati has both online and onsite courses available for students interested in advancing their careers in Nursing. The accredited options empower the student to choose a course type that works best for them. UC has a wide range of degrees available for students who are interested in Nurse Midwifery, Women’s Health Practitioner, Clinical Nursing, and Nurse Administration.
|MSN: Nurse Educator||
Capella University – This masters in nursing program is designed specifically for nurses who wish to enter the teaching profession as nurse educators. With practical applications and engaging assignments, student can accomplish the assets required to be successful in leadership and educational positions with in the nursing industry. The Nurse Educator degree curriculum is centered around the industry’s best practices and standards and is constantly updated to reflect the latest developments.
|RN to MS in Nursing MSN: Informatics MSN: Health Education||
Kaplan University – Kaplan University offers a number of top online RN to Masters In Nursing (MSN) degrees for licensed registered nurses seeking career advancement. Each program is fully online and and allows students to focus their curriculum on their particular career interest. In addition to the general program, specializations are also offered in informatics and health education.
|MSN: Clinical Leader MSN: Nursing Education MSN: Patient Services Admin RN to MSN: Clinical Leader RN to MSN: Nursing Edu. RN to MSN: Patient Services||
Sacred Heart University – Sacred Heart University offers accredited BSN to MSN and RN to MSN programs that prepare students for leadership or specialized positions, including clinical nurse leadership (RN to MSN option), nursing education (RN to MSN option), and patient care services administration (RN to MSN option).
|MS in Family Nursing MS in Women’s Health||
Georgetown University – Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies has been educating nurses and helping improve health care since 1903. Now – through the launch of an innovative online program – Georgetown is extending its master’s program to nurses around the country. Taught by highly respected faculty, the dynamic online program is designed to help the next generation of nursing leaders. Georgetown has two Masters in Nursing degrees online available: Family Nurse Practitioner and Midwifery/Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner.
|MSN: Nurse Educator||
Benedictine University – Benedictine University offers a fully online masters in nursing degree. This accredited program includes focuses on leadership, education, administration, global healthcare among other topics. With this versatile degree, students can choose from several opportunities as they present themselves. BU has campus and online courses available for their MSN program. The online course can be completed at a pace that is comfortable to you.