MSN: Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Degree Programs & Career
A family nurse practitioner (FNP) is an advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) with a master’s degree or doctorate in nursing. In the United States, an FNP is also required to hold national board certification in family health as well as certification from the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AAPP) or American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). FNPs are experts in family health and help individuals and families cope with chronic disabilities as well as advise families on lifestyle and behavioral risk factors. Family health nurse practitioners provide primary care to individuals of all ages, while placing emphasis on health of the entire family. Along with acute care, adult practice, women’s health, and geriatrics, family nursing is one of the most popular specialty areas for nurse practitioners, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
How to Become an FNP
To become a family nurse practitioner, students typically complete the following steps:
- Complete an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing program
- Earn a Registered Nurse Certification
- Meet the professional experience conditions
- Enroll and complete an MSN degree with a concentration in family health
- Obtain FNP certification and proper licensure (requirements vary by state)
FNP Salary and Career Information
The expected salary, career growth, and work environment for an FNP might include:
- Expected Salary Range: $61,638 – $102,966, according to Payscale.com’s most recent report
- Job Prospects: Very good to excellent
- Job Setting: Private practices, urgent care clinics, health departments, nursing homes, hospices, hospitals, educational institutions, private homes
To become an FNP, students are typically required to meet the following job qualifications:
- FNP Advanced Practice Certification
- Computer skills using various applications such as word processing, presentation, and online database systems
- Certification in an area of clinical specialty including family care, adult primary care, gerontology, mental health, and acute care
FNP Job Description
An FNP is typically responsible for the following job duties:
- Examine patients and their families to evaluate their medical and physical conditions and develop specific care plans based on health assessment
- Focus on building strong relationships with families to provide ongoing support and patient education
- Work closely with doctors and other medical professionals to aid in patient diagnosis
- Provide prenatal care and assist with family planning and reproductive health
- Develop a plan of care that address patients’ unique conditions and prescribe proper medication (prescriptive authority varies by state)
- Collaborate with staff on research and professional practice projects
MSN Degrees for Aspiring Family Nurse Practitioners (FNPs)
Top Masters in Nursing Schools
A master’s degree in nursing can be the first step to becoming a nurse practitioner, nurse educator, or clinical nurse leader (CNL). Several accredited online MSN programs are listed below. Fill out any school’s form to quickly receive additional information and application materials.
|RN to MS in Nursing||
Kaplan University – Kaplan University offers a number of top online RN to Masters In Nursing (MSN) degrees for licensed registered nurses seeking career advancement. Each program is fully online and and allows students to focus their curriculum on their particular career interest. In addition to the general program, specializations are also offered in informatics and health education.
|MSN: Mgmt & Org Leadership MSN: Infection Prevention MSN: Case Management MSN: Informatics||
American Sentinel University – American Sentinel University offers a wide variety of accredited online masters in nursing degrees, each with a specific focus designed to teach MSN students the exact skills they need for their particular career focus. By specializing in Management and Organizational Leadership, Infection Prevention, Case Management, or Nurse Informatics through online courses as opposed to campus programs, students can complete assignments at a time and place that is convenient.
Capella University – This masters in nursing program is designed specifically for nurses who wish to enter the teaching profession as nurse educators. With practical applications and engaging assignments, student can accomplish the assets required to be successful in leadership and educational positions with in the nursing industry. The Nurse Educator degree curriculum is centered around the industry’s best practices and standards and is constantly updated to reflect the latest developments.
|MSN: Clinical Leader MSN: Nursing Education MSN: Patient Services Admin RN to MSN: Clinical Leader RN to MSN: Nursing Edu. RN to MSN: Patient Services||
Sacred Heart University – Sacred Heart University offers accredited BSN to MSN and RN to MSN programs that prepare students for leadership or specialized positions, including clinical nurse leadership (RN to MSN option), nursing education (RN to MSN option), and patient care services administration (RN to MSN option).
|MS in Family Nursing||
Georgetown University – Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies has been educating nurses and helping improve health care since 1903. Now – through the launch of an innovative online program – Georgetown is extending its master’s program to nurses around the country. Taught by highly respected faculty, the dynamic online program is designed to help the next generation of nursing leaders. Georgetown has two Masters in Nursing degrees online available: Family Nurse Practitioner and Midwifery/Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner.
|MSN: Nurse Midwifery MSN: Women’s Health MSN: Clinical Nurse MSN: Nurse Admin||
University of Cincinnati – - University of Cincinnati has both online and onsite courses available for students interested in advancing their careers in Nursing. The accredited options empower the student to choose a course type that works best for them. UC has a wide range of degrees available for students who are interested in Nurse Midwifery, Women’s Health Practitioner, Clinical Nursing, and Nurse Administration.
|Masters in Nursing Informatics||
Grand Canyon University – Grand Canyon University’s online masters in nursing programs focus on becoming a leader and an educator respectively. These accredited degrees are offered via a fully online curriculum. The Masters in Nursing Leadership prepares RNs for roles as leaders in a variety healthcare settings.
|MSN: Adult Health MSN: Nurse Educator MSN: Family Nursing MSN: Nurse Admin||
South University – The Masters in Nursing programs from South University are designed for students who want to take leadership positions in the health community, and involves leadership training and learning the skills needed to manage other nurses. South University provides an affordable option through online courses which can cut down on many of the cost associated with on-ground programs. South offers a Masters of Science in Nurse Education.